Sunday, November 27, 2011

Basic Carpentry

Learning how to do basic carpentry has been fun.  I'm still not any good at it, which simply tells me I need to practice more by making more things.

The first thing I really built was a simple short table to set my washer and dryer on; they're front loaders, and I'm really tall, so bending over was getting annoying.  Sure, I could have gotten the drawers they sell to set them on, but where's the fun in that?

I figured it better be pretty sturdy since they're heavy appliances, so I decided to use 4x4s for legs, and brace them with 2x4s.


After I built the frame, I topped it with some nice 1/2" sanded plywood.  Then I added some 1x2 rails, which probably won't do a dadgum thing if one of the appliances decides to dance off the table.


The biggest mistake that I made with this project was to not treat the wood before I put the appliances on it.  "How bad could it be?" thought I.  Well, sure enough, the drain hose popped out during one of the first wash cycles, soaking and thus staining the wood.

Construction-wise, it worked out fine, and has been totally functional.  It's not as pretty anymore, though.  Lesson learned.


There's a few more pics of this project up on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment